View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Obama to speak at Notre Dame

I've just learned that President Barack Obama will give the commencement at the University of Notre Dame May 17.

This is shameful. A university with Our Lady's name, a Catholic institution of higher learning, is honoring a man who is doing everything he can to promote abortion and embryonic stem cell research, and to deprive medical personnel the right to follow their consciences? What were they thinking?

I hope Notre Dame alumni flood the university with e-mails and letters to protest this.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an ND grad who is truly saddened by Mr. Jenkins decision. Allowing Obama to talk at ND is one thing, honoring this infanticide advocate is another. (Yes, he is an infanticide advocate -- check his record in Illinois.)

My suggestion: everyone write Mr. Jenkins and tell him that your next ND monetary contribution is instead going to the Cardinal Newman Society, Priests for Life, Project Sycamore, or some other outfit that speaks on behalf of society's most vulnerable.

12:13 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

While we may be upset at the decision and have every right ot protests, we still have to be respectful of a priest.

It is FATHER Jenkins.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

Yes. Unless you want your complaint immediately sent to a virtual round-file, address it properly to Fr. Jenkins.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone tell me the name of a university that is truly Catholic in its beliefes and PRACTICES?
I have two pro life sons who want a moral speaker at their college graduation.
Mary Ellen Sanchez

12:43 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Mary Ellen - The Franciscan University at Steubenville (Ohio) comes to mind.

I bet some of my readers can name more.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home