View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Let's see who's in the obits today ...

I don't mean to be morbid, but ...

Lately when I read the newspaper, I find myself more and more studying the obituaries.

And I keep finding familiar names.

Including some around my age.

Ulp.

Most, though, are the names of (older) people I knew from the community, from my church, from my days as a reporter. I had interviewed some of them, or knew of them. In some cases I even socialized or attended meetings with them.

The most recent one was a wonderful man who used to be a community blogger for our local paper around the time I was a community blogger. They even ran the same picture they used for the blog.

When I see familiar names, I say a prayer for them. I said one for him.

I also wonder what my obituary will be like. I wonder if people will notice my name and say he was a nice guy and maybe say a prayer for me. (Or maybe "That jerk is finally dead" - in which case I would really need prayers!)

There were no familiar names in this morning's obits. My name wasn't there, either.

"I rise each morning and dust off my wits
open the paper and read the obits.
If I'm not there, I know I'm not dead,
so I have a good breakfast and go back to bed."

("My get up and go has got up and went" - Pete Seeger)

2 Comments:

Blogger 私のブログ (My Blog) said...

Hello.. I am Indra... I from Palembang, Indonesian Countries..I happy to have you read the blog ..
you have a good blog . I happy with you. one-time visit my blog

10:32 AM  
Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

I find, too, that when making purchases any more...Is this something the kids will have to get rid of and if so do I need it that bad...usually NOT and that is GOOD! Oh, I don't read the obits...I read Family Circus! :) Cathy

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home