View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Secular Franciscans and music

We help our Secular Franciscan meeting on Friday. We are beginning a read through/study of Francis and Clare: The Complete Works (of the Paulists' "The Classics of Western Spirituality" series). We cleared the introduction and preface out of the way. The next meeting we will look at The Admonitions.

Interesting discussion of how St. Francis, for all his supposed rebellious behavior and psuedo-hippie attitudes, was really a loyal son of the Church who called for obedience and respect for the Church and its leaders and priests. He was very Trinitarian, and not just focused on Jesus. In addition, he was very Mary-centered. Marty commented that his seeming simplicity actually revealed a profound depth of spiritual understanding and of mysticism.

So much more was said. I'm still mulling it over.

I had brought along information about Spiritual Adoption. Many people took cards. We did not discuss it yet, but perhaps at the next meeting.

Something else to be discussed is music.

Joan plays recorded music, and we sing along. But they would like live music, and I can help with that.

My concern is that the songs they sing are not ones with which I'm familiar - Charismatic Renewal type stuff from the 80s and 90s (long after my involvement with the movement had ceased). I pointed out that I don't know the music they sing. I added that I learn by listening with the sheet music in front of me - and I have neither the music nor the recordings of what they sing. I have searched in local music and Catholic shops, but no luck.

Marty also wondered how well I play and sing - he has never heard me. I said I'm adequate - but that I won't be going on tour soon!

I said I know contemporary liturgical music, and am somewhat familiar with the Steubenville youth rally type music. I asked if maybe we could come up with some sort of a list to get me started.

Marty said we can talk more.

I'd like to play. It would be nice to be able to contribute even in a small way to the meetings. Live music is always better thatn recorded - well, competent live music, anyway!

3 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Wow, I'm impressed at what your SFO fraternity is studying! We don't do anything so meaty at mine. We're reading a Lester Bach book...Pick More Daisies...shudder...

I hope the music conversation goes well. I know my fraternity is always happier when I can lead them in music.

8:56 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Well ... I do like daisies. :-)

Maybe you could suggest a book. Clare and Francis is good. So's Chesterton's biography of him.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Lee, I'm the minister, and I look at my fraternity, and they think that this book (and anything by this author) is the most fabulous thing EVER....I would love to read Chesterton together. Maybe when we finish this mess I can sway them.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home