View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, January 23, 2009

New York's new pro-abortion Catholic Senator

Governor David Patterson has appointed Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand to replace Hillary Clinton in the Senate.
Listing herself as a Catholic, Gillibrand is pro-abortion (100 pecent rating by NARAL), pro-embryonic stem-cell research, pro-government funding for birth control.

Catholic?

And she's described by some as a conserative Democrat? Well, she apparently doesn't favor gay marriage (just civil unions), and is opposed to some forms of gun control , so by New York Democratic Party standards I guess she is conservative.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A person can be identified as pro-abortion if they have performed or profit from abortion, otherwise the moniker usually means "someone-who-doesn't-agree-with-us."

Of course, one can apply the same standard to Dick Cheney and say he's pro-murder.

Sheesh. Did you really think a Democratic governor was going to appoint a pro-life senator?

12:36 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I use two terms for people who support keeping abortion legal.

Pro-choice means they support it, but are not outspoken on the issue, and may even support some pro-life legislation - like parental notification, or against partial birth abortion.

Pro-choice is reserved for people who are outspoken on the issue and are extreme in their support - like Obama.

Gillibrand got a 100 rating from NARAL, supports birth control funding and embryonic stem cell research, and yet lists herself as a Catholic. That's what tips her over the edge.

I expected a pro-choicer form Paterson.

As for Cheney - I have said a number of times that he's a convicted war criminal.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I read you, Lee, but it's a more acceptable practice to permit people to self-identify their positions. Otherwise, you've just been suckered into name-calling like much of the rest of the blogosphere.

As for her position within the party, who knows. She's your new senator, not mine. I consider myself liberal to the left of democrats, but I'm pro-life. Go figure. I don't think abortion is a deciding issue on whether a person's left, right, D, or R, although I'd concede there are trends.

2:50 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I too am liberal on some issues - like the War in Iraq, the death penalty, immigration policies, and health care for all.

I consider myself consistent life, not just pro-life.

I get uneasy giving the pro-life label to people who are pro-death penalty, inclined toward war, etc. So I sometimes describle them as "pro-life on the issue of abortion."

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you just should refrain from labeling people, eh?

8:46 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

But ... she is a Senator :-).

5:33 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Anon - But the Franciscan in me keeps whispering that you and Todd make a good point.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home