View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Not a prayer

My first thought when I read about the complaint against the nearby Town of Greece (NY)because the Town Board meeting began with a prayer was that God was getting back at Greece what it had been doing to take over the public access channel. (I know, I’ll probably earn a complaint from someone for that.)

My second thought was, wait a minute, why is this Suburb of Brighton resident getting the ACLU after westside Greece? (Dang Eastsider!).

After a moment of prayerful (ahem) thought, I had to concede she had a point – if Greece does indeed only feature Christian prayers.

It is apparently one of only four towns in Monroe County where they have prayers to begin their meetings, and Gates (my town) is the only one with a moment of silence.

The pieces in the Gates Chili Post about Nancy Braiman’s crusade include explanations from Greece officials that they rotate the prayers among clergy from Greece churches, but that there are no synagogues and mosques in Greece so they can’t have representatives of those faiths.

Hmm. I bet they could find representatives of the Jewish and Muslim faiths if they tried. Oh, and Hindus, Wiccans, Baha’is, Santerians, Shintoists, Jains. Sikhs, Yankee fans (devil worshippers!), and others.

They could even get an agnostic to lead them in a moment of confusion.

Here in Gates, we take kind of a middle position with our moment of silence (referred to as a “silent prayer”). As Supervisor Esposito notes, no one is forced to take part in it.

Makes sense. It might be a reasonable compromise if Greece does not go for the all-inclusive approach.

Besides, I suspect in some towns – with and without official prayers - the people at the meetings are already doing some heavy duty praying as they listen to their town leaders in action.

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard Grabman said...

Oh well. Out here, I have to go to the #$%^ Alpine City Council meetings, which not only start with a prayer, but include pledging allegiance to the Texas State flag ("hail to thee, Texas. One and indivisible"). I'm dearly hoping our ONE and only Hindu in town (who is on the city council) gets elected Mayor.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Richard Grabman said...

Oh well. Out here, I have to go to the #$%^ Alpine City Council meetings, which not only start with a prayer, but include pledging allegiance to the Texas State flag ("hail to thee, Texas. One and indivisible"). I'm dearly hoping our ONE and only Hindu in town (who is on the city council) gets elected Mayor.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI - Barbara DeLeeuw, executive director of the Genesee Vally ACLU, said, "Voluntary prayer before a legislative meeting is quite permissible and the Supreme Court is clear on that."

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=727e1cfb-3032-4062-8722-add602903ba8

- Lee

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to go anonymous because Google/blogger won't let me log in even though this is my own blog. Crappy service. - Lee

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home