View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Reading (3)

Being hired at my new school - plus finding out what I'm actually teaching - has led to a shift in reading.

But first, finishing some books I'd started.

I concluded Praying Constantly: Bringing Your Faith to Life by Father Benedict Groeschel, C.F.F. It's an excellent book about deepening one's prayer life. It's a book for people who've moved beyond basic introductions to prayer. Father's style is not difficult - very down-to-earth.

I also polished off God's Doorkeepers: Padre Pio, Solanus Casey & Andre Bessette by Joel Schorn. It's a good introduction to these three holy men. Pio and Andre have been declared saints, and Venerable Solanus is on the path. The book gives a overview of their lives and what they had in common. It also examines what makes these men holy. A good read: not a tough one at all, but informative, especially if you don't know much about them.

Finally, I reread The Spring of My Life and Selected Haiku by Kobayashi Issa, one of my favorite haiku poets, for sheer pleasure. The story of the death of his daughter is particularly touching.

This world of dew
is only the world of dew -
and yet ... oh and yet ...

And now ...

I'm researching some essays and poems that I'll be using in the writing class (still in progress).

I'm also reading a book provided by my department head, With Rigor for All: Teaching the Classics to Contemporary Students by Carol Jago. This will help me to get back ready for the more demanding academic environment of my new school, and to get some insight into my department head's thinking. The book is giving me plenty to think about in my approach to teaching.

As part of my reading, I'm also enjoying Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I've seen the movie many times, it's time to read the book, which is on the students' summer reading list.

Finally, just for pleasure, I'm reading G.K. Chesterton's Manalive.

I do need to find a spiritual book. Hmm.

Earlier:

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind by Suzanne Staples (from the Mercy High School Summer Reading list).

Red, Green, or Murder by Steven F. Havill (He's a former high school teacher of mine who has now published 23 novels. Bit of coincidence: The protagonist relaxes toward the end of the book by reading Trulock's In The Hands of Providence, a book about Civil War hero Joshua Chamberlain, and a book that my wife is currently reading!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Raymond Rice said...

Rebecca is my alltime favorite book of fiction.!!! Ray Rice

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home