View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

On Negativity



The best way of removing negativity is to laugh and be joyous. - David Icke

People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings. - Hendrie Weisinger

People deal too much with the negative, with what is wrong. Why not try and see positive things, to just touch those things and make them bloom? - Thích Nhat Hanh

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben Anderson said...

and what of people who stereotype and label? Most people have a lot more going on in their lives than anyone else knows about to be labelled as a "negative person". What if all you knew of Chesterton was the book Heretics?

12:04 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ben - is such an accusation something you've had to deal with?

I know I have to contend in my own life with being too negative at times (the reason I posted this).

1:24 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

Lee, it absolutely is. I would say that a false fear of negativity and perceived impoliteness is our society's #1 problem. There are times when we must speak up and tell the truth. When we do so, we should be confident that we are doing the right thing (assuming we have prayed and meditated prior to action). If others perceive it as negative, then so be it. Have you read Lewis' "The Problem of Pain"? It's not a book on false kindness, but he happens to talk about it a good deal. I quoted it randomly in a few different posts. I'd highly recommend it:

http://cleansingfiredor.com/2011/03/st-patrick-and-more/

http://cleansingfiredor.com/2011/03/ecumenical-and-interfaith-dialogue-we-have-much-to-celebrate/

http://cleansingfiredor.com/2011/03/lewis-on-the-welfare-state/

1:44 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I have read it - I'm a big fan of Lewis.

The issue for me is not pointing out what is wrong when correction is in order, it's focusing too much on negativity, or offering those criticisms in a heavy-handed, sarcastic way - of which I am too often guilty.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

got it, Lee. I hear what you're saying. I've been really liking turning to readings on the Saints or Sacred Scripture in such times.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home