View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, March 25, 2011

At least I have a job, um ....

Well, our CEO dropped a stunner at school yesterday.

He announced that they are restructuring the way our private Christian school is operated. Our campus is being tied to five others, and there's going to be more interaction - and more virtual classes - involving the six campuses.

The virtual classes mean the six campuses as a group will likely need fewer teachers - one English teacher could cover three campuses, for example. As a result, there's a chance at our campus that some teachers will not be offered contracts for next year.

I have seniority at my school - I might even have seniority across several campuses - but in the world of private schools where contracts are year-to-year, seniority may not really mean much.
Or maybe it will. I have dual certification, and that might help. Or maybe it won't. I don't know.

That's part of what makes this difficult: The uncertainty.

None of us know if we have jobs for next year, and given the way these schools have operated in the past, we may not find out until almost the end of the school year. I didn't get my contract for this year until the final day of school last year. Learning that late makes it hard to find another teaching job. And at 55, with districts around here letting staff go due to massive budget cuts, I don't think my odds of getting another teaching position are good.

I have already applied to a solid orthodox Catholic-oriented school. I had been hoping to find a position there anyway. But I don't know if they will have any openings in my subject areas.

In the next week, I'll be applying to other schools as well.

Of course, I may still have a job at my current school.

Sigh. I don't like the uncertainty.

I think it's time to pray!

1 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Maybe it's time to finish that novel!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home