View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Father Corapi accused, on administrative leave

Father John Corapi, one of the greats of contemporary apologetics, has been placed on administrative leave following accusations made by a former employee.

On his website, Father Corapi says:

On Ash Wednesday I learned that a former employee sent a three-page letter to several bishops accusing me of everything from drug addiction to multiple sexual exploits with her and several other adult women. There seems to no longer be the need for a complaint to be deemed “credible” in order for Church authorities to pull the trigger on the Church’s procedure, which was in recent years crafted to respond to cases of the sexual abuse of minors. I am not accused of that, but it seems, once again, that they now don’t have to deem the complaint to be credible or not, and it is being applied broadly to respond to all complaints. I have been placed on "administrative leave" as the result of this.

I’ll certainly cooperate with the process, but personally believe that it is seriously flawed, and is tantamount to treating the priest as guilty “just in case”, then through the process determining if he is innocent. The resultant damage to the accused is immediate, irreparable, and serious, especially for someone like myself, since I am so well known. I am not alone in this assessment, as multiple canon lawyers and civil and criminal attorneys have stated publicly that the procedure does grave damage to the accused from the outset, regardless of rhetoric denying this, and has little regard for any form of meaningful due process.

All of the allegations in the complaint are false, and I ask you to pray for all concerned.

I know nothing about the situation other than this report. I certainly don't know the accuser, or if the accusations have any basis. But I'll be honest: My first thought was that Satan was reaching out to try to destroy a powerful Catholic voice.

As Father Corapi requested, I will be keeping him and everyone involved in this situation in my prayers. I urge others to do so as well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Catholic church sets its heterosexual Priests up for complete failure. The only man who could endure a life time of isolation from the love of a woman, would be someone gay; we are social species, replication is wired in. I believe in Father Corapi regardless, and feel devastated for him that he is in a no win situation from a Catholic stand point. I will pray that he can face this with God and not give up.

11:40 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

The Church has a long history of many healthy, balanced men called, willing, and able to forego sex for the sake of serving God and God's people. The vast majority are able to do so. It's not easy - it's a sacrifice. Not all are called to do it - or are able to do it. But it can be done.

I was a seminarian, and I gradually realized I was not able to accept the challenge of celibacy in my life. I left the seminary and later married. That's my calling.

By the way, statistically, priests are less likely to be guilty of sexual offenses than clergy in denominations that permit clergy to be married.

The issue is not celibacy or the Church's requirement of it.

Please do pray for Father Corapi. And thank you for stopping by!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Marcygoosie said...

Father Corapi has always maintained that celibacy is impossible ; it is only possible with the grace of God. He often reflected how he was either loved or hated by people for his preaching the truth of Jesus Christ and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Father said how people tried to set him up, attempting to catch him with women who would stand outside his property. He said if he had male friends he would be accused of being a homosexual. He couldn't have female friends because then he would be having an affair. What a lonely life he had to lead as a servant of God. Let us all come to his aid now with what he called a Spiritual 911; saying 9 Memorares, 1 Rosary and 1 Chaplet of the Divine Mercy. May Our Blessed Mother beg her Son for a rapid revelation of the truth in this matter so Father Corapi may resume his powerful teaching and preaching and lead many to the Truth!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Nicholas Fitzgerald said...

This has nothing to do with sexuality. I'll bet donuts to rosaries that this is a political move. Fr. Corapi is an outspoken and fearless defender of the faith. That makes him a prime target for secular political forces.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home