View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Last words. Ack.

I’m reading a book about Famous Last Words.

I’m like that.

It’s hard to top the fictional last word of Charles Foster Kane from Citizen Kane: “Rosebud.”

That set off a film – and years of cinematic analysis.

But the book does contain some memorable lines – and got me thinking what my last word or words might be.

I’m hoping it will be something more than, “Aaargh.”

I wouldn’t mind if they were somehow a reflection of my faith – along the lines of “Welcome, Sister Death” (St. Francis of Assisi) or “It is time for Matins” (St. John of the Cross).

Maybe it could be something nice like “It is very beautiful over there” (Thomas Edison) or “I’m so happy, so happy” (Gerard Manley Hopkins).

Perhaps I should try a fitting line like “Strike the tent.” (Robert E. Lee), or one that has poetic echoes like “Please put out the light. (Theodore Roosevelt).

Then again, maybe I could opt for the enigmatic like “Moose … Indian.” (Henry David Thoreau).

Some of the ones I’m toying with:

“This is a joke, right?”

“I never knew.”

“French toast.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Watch out for low flying trees.”

“Again?”

“And then he said ….”

“Peace at last.”

“Tip one for me.”

I’ll work on it. I want it to be good. Something people will quote and remember me for.

But chances are it will be something like, "What truck?" or "I don't need to turn the power off for a job like this," or "Oops."

3 Comments:

Blogger kkollwitz said...

I like:

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"

Stonewall Jackson

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Kathleen@so much to say said...

LOL! I have to admit I never thought about it. :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

kkollwitz - I meant to include that one. Thanks for making up for my omission!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home