View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, October 02, 2010

Paladino loses my vote

The chances of me voting for him were already slim, but this exchange clinched it:

SHAFFER: Today some of your supporters brought up the issue of abortion.

PALADINO: I’m running on economic issues. Social issues aren’t in our interest this year. The people want to know how are we going to end this reckless spending, how are we going to get taxes down so we can expand jobs, expand our business base, give good, fulfilling jobs to our neighbors, and provide an atmosphere where people can feel grounded and tell their kids and grandkids that there’s a future for them in New York. We can avoid these peripheral issues for now.

Peripheral? Abortion is peripheral? Money counts more than killing babies???

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not encouraged by that. Social issues are #1 in my list of priorities every year.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

disappointing 4 sure, but who else you gonna vote for?

6:46 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Certainly not Cuomo!

I don't know at this point. Too much of what Paladino has done and said has raised red flags in my mind. This was the last straw. I think as a governor he would be a disaster.

I looked at the available Third party candidates. Not much. Where's the Right-to-Life Party when you need it!

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Mary Kay said...

Lee, did you read Paladino's stance on abortion:

http://www.paladinoforthepeople.com/issuedetail.php?id=9

I haven't looked where he stands on all the issues but at least he says no to abortion.

5:42 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Mary Kay - thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I've read what he said about opposing abortion. But I also read the interview he gave Mr. Shaffer in which he basically said he's not going to do a thing about abortion. His focus is on money, not human lives. A typical economic Republican.

Abortion is not a "peripheral issue." It's a human rights issues. It's a human life issue.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home