View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Note to self: Smile!


“It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face or a chilling look.” - St. Francis of Assisi.

The other day, a parent remarked to the principal at my school that she thought I was mad at her. That came just moments after we'd had a brief conversation, but one which I thought was innocuous - and certainly without confrontation or harsh words. But I will admit that in my heart I felt annoyed at her for something she was doing (though without saying anything directly to her about it).

I was trying to figure out why she would say that when the principal added a comment about smiling.

A subtle suggestion?

The problem my be my face. Or, to be exact, the look on my face.

I tend toward "serious" looking expressions. People have commented in the past that I sometimes look mad or upset even when I'm not.

They have a point. I need to work at trying to look more friendly, more inviting.

I've got to keep trying to smile more!

1 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

I'll just bet you smile ALOT!!! ;) Cathy

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home