View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Junia" - a brief review


As I warned, more to come.

In my quest to read more contemporary Catholic fiction, I just finished Junia by Father Michael Giesler. It's the story of the daughter of a Roman Senator who learns about Christianity, becomes a Christian, and ultimately pays the price for that.

An enjoyable read, though not without its flaws. There are some threads left dangling, though there is at least one sequel involving Junia's brother, so maybe in the later book some of those threads are dealt with.

For example, we are introduced to a Praetorian guard who wants to marry Junia. We begin to get insights into him - and then he suddenly is gone. Is he in the second book? Or a perhaps a third book? I don't know. I found it unsatisfying not to get some hints.

Also, I found myself a bit skeptical about some of the things that happen to Junia's father and his ambitions, especially given that he has a Christian daughter who is exposed the way she is.

All that aside, as I said it is an enjoyable read, though maybe more appropriate for a middle school girl than a middle-aged English teacher!

Check it out if you are looking for a light, quick read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home