View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dad - Down day

When I got to the nursing home to visit Dad today, he was not out playing games as usual. I found him in his room, looking half asleep in his wheelchair, with oxygen.

He looked at me quizzically at first - as if he did not recognize me. Then he started to talk, but it was more of a mumble.

I got him to talk louder, and kept asking questions to get him to focus. Finally, he told me that a man from the town where he used to live was coming for a logging certificate that Dad had in the back of his dresser. Dad was convinced it had fallen behind the drawer, and it would be hard to get it out. He was very concerned about this.

His good hand kept shaking. No cards were possible. I'll have to sign the checks for his bills this week (I have power of attorney).

I kept trying to get him to focus, and he would for a moment, then would drift off to talk about the man, the certificate, the stock market going down, Mom (dead for four years).

I spoke to his nurse. She said he hasn't been doing well. She had to partly feed him at lunch time just to get some food in him. He's been very lethargic.

I went back to the room. An aid came in and Dad kept asking if the aid was my brother (now dead nearly 27 years), then asking if he was the man coming for the certificate. I tried all sorts of small talk, trying to keep him talking, hoping things would begin to click. I talked about all the stuff at work, teaching, waking up early, my two dogs of happy memory, Duke and Maggie. I mentioned my old high school in Geneva. He said maybe I could teach there. I said I could not afford to move back there. He said I could move back into the old family home in Geneva as he still owned it. Mom and Dad sold it back in 1974.

When I left, I said I would be back next week and I was going to kick his butt in euchre. He smiled at that.

I kissed him goodbye and told him I loved him. He said he loved me.

I hope he is better next week. I hope he will be able to kick my butt.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I really feel for you here. It is so hard to see a loved one going through that kind of thing! With prayers for your dad and for you.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home