View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, January 03, 2010

A musical grumble

This afternoon we are having "Lessons and Carols" at church - weather permitting. (6-10 inches of blowing snow in the forecast.)

The music/singing will be provided by the choirs of the five regional Catholic churches (I'm in the St. Theodore's choir), plus two contemporary music groups - Faith on Fire and Rock of Faith (to which I belong). As far as I can tell, I'm the only person with two different groups.

The director of Rock of Faith e-mail yesterday and suggested we get there extra early for set up and sound check.

I e-mailed back that I'm hoping the weather will cancel it.

We held our our only joint rehearsal on Wednesday. It was disorganized, the choirs were not in sync, and the "lessons," well, one was done as a mini dialogue between Joseph and Mary in somewhat contemporary language. Not very polished. Stiff. As an actor and a writer, it irked me. And musically, I was embarrassed by the singing. We are going before people to sing when we don't even have our music down? We need a couple of more rehearsals.

I decided that I will play with Rock of Faith only. We are doing "Mary did you know?" We've practiced it a few times and come up with our own arrangement, so it sounds okay. I will not sing with the choirs. They have enough male voices already, and I hate feeling unprepared.

I'm still hoping it will be cancelled. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

(Yeah, I know, too much ego. And I'm forgetting that people might enjoy it and get something out of it.)

1 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Okay despite my being such a grouch, people did seem to enjoy it.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home