View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Getting "The Kinks" Out

The Crescat had praise for the Rolling Stones in a recent post (January 5).

Back when I was on college radio in the 70s, whenever I got requests for the Stones I'd play them - at 78 rpm. (Those old enough to remember real "records" will understand. Those not old enough, think Mick and the Chipmunks.)

I did like a few Stones tunes. I even owned a few of their albums - which I threw away when I rediscovered my faith and moral values (reading Merton, Augustine, and Chesterton gets you to thinking!).

Even still, I preferred the Beatles, or ... The Kinks!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL! I'd forgotten all about this one! It sums things up, doesn't it?

2:05 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

I thought you were shying away from controversial topics and now you've opened the whole stones/beatles debate? That's one of the most divisive topics there is :-)

4:02 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ah, but I sidestepped it all with The Kinks!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Persis said...

Love the Beatles, love the Stones,
the Kinks, not one of my favorites, except for the song "Come Dancin'"

Actually, my favorite song of all time is by the Stones "You can't always get what you want", and if you think about it, it is kind of spiritual, in the sense that it is a great message, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need..."
God won't give me everything I want, but He will always give me everything I need!
Peace!

11:16 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ah, but then there are lovely Stones tunes like "Starf*****". Check out some of the lines in that one (I can't print them here!).

7:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I Think you'll like this KinKs song...

"God's Children"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEvOL2NtWU

ENJOY

10:19 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Curtis - forgot about that one! Thanks for the reminder.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Kinks...Village Green Preservation Society. Great tune!

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home