View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Blessed John XXIII

A happy bit of trivia regarding Blessed John XXIII, whom I would love to see declared a saint (along with Venerable John Paul II).

Good Pope John died the evening of June 3, 1963. The way the Church generally designates a saint's feast day is that it is the day of the saint's death - or, if you prefer, the day of his/her transition into eternal life. When the death occurs in the evening, the feast day is often the next day as the Church says days begin the evening before. (That's why a 5 p.m. Mass on Saturday counts as a Sunday Mass).

To give an example, St. Francis of Assisi's death is technically on October 3, but since he died in the evening, his feast day is celebrated October 4.

Depending how the Church dates it, then, and assuming he will be declared a saint some day, St. John XXIII's feast day would be June 4.

My birthday.

I'd be very happy to share it with him!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Carol said...

I'd like that, too.
:-)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

if they could push it one more day - it'd be my birthday - 6/5

10:07 AM  
Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Is that, you share with him or he with you?!? God Bless you at any rate. Already it's too technical for me!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Ann Murray said...

And since he was Pope John xx111 I'll be happy too - 'though mine is in Oct not June - he can't please everybody!!

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home