View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Intimations of Mortality

About five years ago during an ice storm that knocked out our power I bought a generator. I later had the basement rewired so we can plug it in directly and keep the furnace, sump pump and refrigerator going.

I hadn't fired up the generator since that storm. I haven't changed the oil in all that time. It's probably all gummed up. I don't want to risk trying to start it and ruining it. Not being mechanical, I decided to take it in to a shop to have it cleaned and checked just in case we need it.

I backed the car up to the garage to load it into the trunk.

I couldn't lift the generator in.

I could get it off the ground, but raise it a couple of feet? No way. I tried again, but I could feel my 54-year-old lower back saying, "Remember the time you threw me out and we suffered for weeks? We're getting there again."

I pushed the generator back into the garage.

Now somehow five years ago I managed to get it out of my trunk and into the garage. Did I have help? I don't recall. Or did I have enough umph to get it out of the trunk and onto the ground all by myself back then?

Yeah, it's easier to get it down than it is to lift, but still, I felt helpless. And a bit older.

I'll need to get help. I don't like asking for help. A lesson in humility.

5 Comments:

Blogger In the choir loft said...

Lee - Don't kill yerself. I'll come round and give ya a hand. We can wrestle that bad-boy into the truck.

2:44 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Thanks.

Now if my faith was strong enough, I could possibly move generators. After all, they are lighter than mountains.

But, being weak spiritually and physically, you never know, I might give you a call - if I knew your name and number!

5:30 PM  
Blogger In the choir loft said...

I can send you both if I had your email addy.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Faith will move mountains... not generators. Or the spirit is willing, but the back is weak.

9:57 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Amen brother Richard! :-)

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home