View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, July 27, 2009

The Myth of Overpopulation



I've heard some of these arguments before.

I've long believed the issue is not overpopulation. It's a combination of things, including the the misuse of resources. We could produce enough food to feed the people of the world, but the quest for profits leads to the raising of cash crops rather than food crops. In some regions, for example, the farms (owned by the wealthy and large corporations) grow sugar to feed the sweet toothes of first world people instead of growing food to feed their own people. I saw this first-hand in Haiti.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home