View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

More Morning James

As I've been reading The Letter of James, I paused at this section of James 4:

11 Do not speak evil against one another, brethren. He that speaks evil against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you that you judge your neighbor?

Amen.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sr. Joan Sobala should read this. She might choke on her big turkey drumstick just a bit.

12:20 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Okay, you got me. Is there some significance to a turkey leg?

As to the passage from James, I have not heard Sister speak or read much that she has written. Does this apply to her? I don't know. But I do know some of her critics' comments certainly seem to fit under the first part of the passage.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is referring to the opulence of her living conditions in the priest's rectory rather than the convent on OLoL's campus. I thought nuns took a vow of poverty... So much for that.

6:34 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ah. I remember Father Jim Callan making a similar criticism about living in an opulent rectory - so he refused (years before he broke with the Church).

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home