View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ups and downs

It was an odd day.

A long week due to an exam snafu affecting some of our students, parents voicing opinions over what courses their children should take next year, and trying to create a schedule for next year - on top of multiple church commitments over the last few days, and a friend's parent's suicide attempt.

It was a good day at school, though - a dress down day. The kids were full of energy but in a positive way. And I got to talk with the friend.

I then met with our CEO to go over next year's schedule. As principal I had to figure out how to stretch too few teachers to cover too many classes.

He seemed pleased with the tentative schedule I worked out. At that point I raised the sensitive subject of lay-offs that had been hinted at earlier this spring due to the budget.

I was prepared to go to bat for the staff.

But no arguments were needed: The trustees have decided no one will be let go.

I went home exhausted, but happy.

Then last night I got a phone call. It was my dad, who never calls that late.

He accused me of ruining his life, of somehow causing him to get a dishonorable discharge because I would not wash the chocolate out of his pants??

I tried to talk him down, but he kept accusing me.

A fever? Another stroke?

I told him that he should call the nurse. He didn't know what I was talking about. So I told him I was going to hang up and call the home.

I did. The nurse said he'd seemed normal just a little while earlier, but that she would check on him.

She called back about 10 minutes later. She said he'd said some of the same things to her, but then she got him to remember that he'd left the navy back in the 1950s, and that this was now 2009.

I'll be going over to the home this afternoon. I don't know what I will find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home