View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Gallup - Americans now pro-life?

The latest Gallup Poll is not likely to make the pro-abortion crowd happy.

The new Gallup Poll, conducted May 7-10, finds that 51 percent of Americans now call themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42 percent "pro-choice."

This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as pro-life since Gallup began asking this question in 1995, when the pro-death position lead 56-33. Since then, the Life side has generally trended up, the Death side down. There was a tie at 46 percent back in 2001.

Just last year, the Death side lead 50-44. Perhaps the election of Obama and his Death Squad and all the coverage in the last year has helped to open some people's eyes.

Meanwhile, also for the first time, by a slight majority more Americans now say abortions should be illegal in all circumstances - 23 percent - than those who say it should legal under any circumstances - 22 percent.

53 percent say it should be legal under certain circumstances. That figure has held pretty steady, showing that most Americans don't take the absolutist positions of Obama and the Democratic Party, or of pro-lifers like me.

I'm sure the spinners in the pro-abortion camp will be out trying to niggle and nuance the responses.

The problem is that they are part of the 22 percent - and not of the 23 percent, the 51 percent, or the 53 percent of the rest of the country.

And they are gradually trending toward being even more of an extremist fringe.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Jared said...

In reality, 23% of Americans think abortion should be illegal in all circumstances, 22% think it should be completely legal, and 53% believe it should be legal in certain situations. So basically, the facts in your column suggest 75% of Americans think Abortion should be legal in at least some situations, but you had to put your propaganda and spin on the facts to suit your own agenda.

If your wondering, I don't have a stance either way with the whole abortion issue. But I do feel that if a woman is raped that she should be able to choose to not have the child of her rapist if she doesn't want to. If your own daughter was in this situation, would you not grant her the same right?

Also, don't you think its a little extreme to call those who disagree with you "pro-death"?

8:44 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

In reality, 23% of Americans think abortion should be illegal in all circumstances, 22% think it should be completely legal, and 53% believe it should be legal in certain situations."

I think I cited those statistics.

"If your own daughter was in this situation, would you not grant her the same right?"

I have three daughters. No. Why should an innocent child be executed for a crime another person committed? Abortion is not a "right."

"Also, don't you think its a little extreme to call those who disagree with you "pro-death"?"

I did acknowledge that I'm an absolutist. As for being pro-death - The child is alive, so someone who maintains that it's okay under some (or all) circumstances to kill that living child is pro-death.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha and I love how your censuring your comments now - looks like I was not the only one making you face the truth.

<3

10:39 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Anonymous said...
I agree with Jared.

and hey,

49% of Americans, millions and millions of people, still support women's rights, the rights of your daughters.

(One propaganda statement deleted)

5:50 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

"millions and millions of people, still support women's rights"


Abortion is a "right" in the same sense that slavery was a "right" or child labor was a "right" or discrtimination agaisnt various minorities was a"right" sanctioned by the courts, but still morally wrong.

And lets call it what it is - abortion, not the nice-sounding cover phrase "women's rights"

5:53 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

"I love how your censuring your comments"

By the way, the word is "censoring".

Different words, different meanings.

I may want to "reprimand" you, but that has nothing to do with printing comments.

5:58 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

"...looks like I was not the only one making you face the truth."

It has nothing to do with truth. I was due to some nutters posting nasty comments on an earlier post or attacks on me or other people.

Almost all comments do get through even when they criticize my opinions (though I might occasionally edit them to remove slogans, or offensive words or phrases).

As for truth, my eyes are already on the truth. I'm hoping yours will be eventually.

Glad to see you are reading me - I hope that helps.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home