View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Honor Life: Boycott the Super Bowl

As of the last time I checked, NBC had not relented: They will not run the pro-life ad.

So, I will not watch the game. I will not watch the ads. I will write NBC another note.

Truthfully, I wasn't overly interested in the game this year anyway as I don't particularly care about either team. And I'm not such a football fanatic that I will watch just any game.

The only thing I was looking forward to was the halftime show with Bruce Springsteen. I would have watched the first half and halftime.

But now I won't.

I may be one of only a handful of people in this football-worshipping nation so minded. At Mass this morning, Father kept mentioning the game and the party of priests he plans tonight so much that the organist finally looked at us guitarists with a grimace and said, "It's not a holy day."

Well, it is a holy day - and not because of football.

And Life is holy.

I will honor Life by not watching.

4 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Of course, NBC and MSNBC were in the tank for Obama during the campaign anyway. The network lost a lot of credibility then. This just adds to it.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

THanks for your comment on my blog. I'm glad to know other people are doing this. Yes, I wanted to see Springsteen, too, as well as the ads - but nothing is worse than not standing up for my principles.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not be watching the game either. I also informed my local NBC affiliate that I will not watch their station in the future. I choose to abort them from my household.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

LOL, it MUST have been a holy day because Middle Sister did not have a basketball game. 1:00 on Sunday (we're still in church for noon Mass) is prime time for her basketball games. But not today, because the CYO directors obviously worship at the altar of the Pregame Show.

Ignoring the Super Bowl too! I like how "Anonymous" put it. And Valerie is right about standing up for principles.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home