View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Spiritual Adoption: Pray for an unborn child

“Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.” - (Jeremiah 1:5)

Today there is a pro-life retreat in Rochester. I had hoped to attend, but I'm ill - I couldn't even make it late enough last night to watch the new Battlestar Galactica episode! - and I have school work to do to prepare for next week's exams.

I will be there for the next 40 Days campaign that begins in February.

This week is also the annual March for Life - just two days after the most pro-abortion regime in the history of the U.S. takes over in Washington. Obama's election may actually do a lot to help the pro-life movement to grow if he carries out his agenda (the economy and other issues may slow him down).

I have never been to a March for Life. I've always been working at the time of the March and unable to get time to go, and in my years as a teacher it always seems to fall during January exams.

I do take part in the annual Good Friday prayer march here in Rochester. I plan to do so again this Good Friday.

This year I hope to do more for life. Letters to the editor. Help with publicity for 40 Days. Praying at the clinics. Praying.

There are many people who for a variety of reasons can't be out there marching or praying outside clinics. One alternative way to fight for life for has ties to a former Rochester Bishop - spiritual adoption.

The late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen encouraged people to spiritually adopt an unborn children. To do this, you simply pray for a particular but unknown child’s life that the child not be aborted and be allowed to continue to live. You can give the child a name, which may help to make it easier to focus on the child as you pray.

As part of the effort, you are encouraged to say each day for nine months this prayer by Archbishop Sheen:

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you very much. I beg you to spare the life of [baby’s name] the unborn baby that I have spiritually adopted who is in danger of abortion.”

That's it. Simple. But powerful. The 40 Days campaign last fall helped save more than 400 lives through prayer. How many more can be saved through taking part in this prayer campaign?

It can be done individually, but whole groups can be involved. Maybe this is something prayer groups, schools, even parishes can try. Just go to the site linked above for more information.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Since today is the feast of St. Antony (Anthony) the Abbot, I gave the child I'm praying for the name of Anthony.

I'm just adding the prayer to my morning prayers.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Battlestar Gallactica

You can watch last night's episode on hulu.com if you want:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/53330/battlestar-galactica-sometimes-a-great-notion#s-p1-so-i0

(Don't worry, it's 100% legal, they just have a few commercials interspersed throughout the show.)

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been praying this prayer since some time in the 1980s. I've added this petition to the end: "Lord Jesus, grant the mother the graces she most needs, and grant the father the graces he most needs."

I remember being told to continue praying for the same child for one year. So each year on May 1st (since I began the practice in April all those years ago), I ask the Lord to let me adopt a new little one.

Jacqueline Y.

12:12 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I was trying to figure out how long to pray, as some pregnancies go beyond strictly 9 months. I was thinking 10 months.

I like the notion of adding a prayer for the mother and father. Thanks for that idea!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home