View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, November 01, 2008

40 Days for Life - Day 39


I went down to Planned Parenthood in Rochester this morning to help out with the 40 Days for Life campaign on this, the second last day.

The calendar said only one person had signed up for a particular hour. I wanted to join that person so he or she would not be alone. But when I arrived, there were 7 people praying - some from the previous shift, and some arriving like me without having signed up to take part. A few left, others remained. At all times we had at least 5 people.

We prayed, and offered literature and help to everyone driving into and out of the Planned Parenthood parking lot. Having read this week about a beatified Secular Franciscan who worked wonders just by making the sign of the cross, I blessed every vehicle going in and out with a sign of the cross. I placed them in God's hands.

We got a number of positive responses from people - honking horns, and giving thumbs up and waves. A few people vented their pain - a couple of fingers, and one woman who rolled down her window and asked if we were giving out free condoms, then called us hypocrites.

I prayed for them all.

Several people mentioned that even after the campaign officially ends tomorrow they intend to come back to keep praying. I might just join them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home