View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, October 03, 2008

Democrats - Party of Death?

In an interview with Italian episcopal conference's daily newspaper Avvenire, Archbishop Raymond Burke observed, "At this point, the Democratic Party risks transforming itself definitively into a `party of death' due to its choices on bioethical issues, as Ramesh Ponnuru wrote in his book The Party of Death: The Democrats, the Media, the Courts and the Disregard for Human Life.

And I say this with a heavy heart, because we all know that the Democrats were the party that helped our Catholic immigrant parents and grandparents to better integrate into and prosper in American society. But it's not the same anymore."

(I was a life-long Democrat. I even tried to help get Democrats for Life off the ground. I quit the party last year, saddened and disgusted by what it was doing and advocating.)

As for denying Catholic politicians Communion because of their public stances on abortion, Burke said, "Mine was not an isolated position. It was shared by Archbishop Charles J. Chaput of Denver [Colorado], by Bishop Peter J. Jugis of Charlotte [North Carolina], and by others. But it is true that the bishops' conference has not taken this position, leaving each bishop free to act as he believes is best. For my part, I always have maintained that there must be a united position in order to demonstrate the unity of the Church in facing this serious question.

Recently, I have noticed that other bishops are coming to this position. Above all, following some evidently poor statements on the part of the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, and of the Democratic candidate to vice president, Senator Joe Biden, who, while presenting themselves as good Catholics, have represented Church teaching on abortion in a false and tendentious manner."

(Ah, Biden, the Catholic. He admits he believes life begins at conception, but he support a woman's right to kill the child. That's murder.)

There more to the interview at Zenit (http://www.zenit.org/article-23786?l=english)

I can't any Catholic voting in good conscience for the Obama/Biden ticket given their stances - especially Obama's extreme position on abortion.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I am in complete agreement with you.
I remember coming out of the 2004 vote- and telling my husband I voted for Bush. Did I feel great about that? No. But the pro-life issue is the center of ALL issues if you ask me. So- McCain has my vote too.

6:36 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Wow, we teachers get up early, don't we!

Thanks for stopping by. I have to check out your latest "bad" haiku.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home