View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ken

After a random conversation with Daughter Bridget Saturday, I searched online for the address of Ken Osborn.

Ken and I were friends in college many years ago. I remember conversations about faith and St. Francis, and one night spent talking about Brother Sun, Sister Moon after viewing it. He had considered a vocation to the Franciscans, but discovered that his vocation lay more with the Secular Franciscans and marriage. He is my oldest daughter's godfather, and he used to stop by the house to visit. The girls knew him as "Uncle Cheese Doodle" because he always seemed to bring a bag with him.

Alas, we had not talked in 20 years or so, and he lives in another city. But our Secular Franciscan group is going to read Francis and Clare: The Complete Works. When I dug out my old copy, I discovered Ken had given it to us back when Clare was baptized.

I called the number I had found, and sure enough it was the right Ken.

He is still a Secular Franciscan, and was pleased to hear that I was exploring the order.

We talked about family, including spiritual concerns we both share. It was a good conversation.

Oh, and he's a Bills fan, too. 4-0!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home