View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Debate

I watched or heard the bulk of the debate (I missed the earliest part because I was finishing up at a Secular Franciscan meeting).

I had mixed feelings about what I did see and hear. I think McCain won it on points, but barely. And given the supposed "edge" he had on foreign policy, it may not have been enough.

Both had gaffes and made factual errors.

Obama was vague and seemed shallow - and as a former radio announcer, his pauses and "ands" are starting to drive me nuts! - but for many people watching, he may have seemed okay enough for them to imagine him as President. Not good.

One bit jumped out at me though. When McCain mentioned the bracelet he was wearing, Obama jumped in and said he had a bracelet too - then couldn't remember the name of the person!

Southern Appeal posed this response to the Obama stumble, which I think is perfect: http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10071/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Palin had better do better in her debate than she has been doing in interviews lately, and McCain really needs to hit stride in the next debate. A settlement of the Wall Street crisis this weekend - with McCain getting some credit (HEY Republicans - if you want your guy to win, you might want to pull out something fast!) would really help boost his chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home