View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Interesting Timothy verse

While listening to Catholic radio this morning, I overheard a conversation with a Protestant pastor who converted. One of the verses he said that helped in the process was one that he said he had not "seen" before back when he believed that "the pillar and bulwark of truth" is the Bible.

"I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these instructions to you so that, if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of the God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of truth." - I Timothy 2: 14-15

He realized that Paul is talking about the Church as the pillar and bulwark, and not the Bible. That helped to undermine his Protestant beliefs in the Bible alone and eventually to lead him to the Church.

It took a Bible-knowing Protestant turned Catholic to help open his eyes. How many of us cradle Catholics know our Bible well enough to point to the right verses in such discussions? I certainly am humbled when I encounter such knowledge.

I must reread Colossians for the SFO meeting to see what I missed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home