View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Planned Parenthood: Exploiting Mother's Day

I received a news item from LifeNews.

It did not surprise me.

Allegedly, Planned Parenthood, the billion-dollar abortion provider, is trying to use Mother's Day to raise money.

Even though a big part of its business is helping to prevent women from becoming mothers.

According to LifeNews, Cecile Richards, the president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, sent out a fund-raising request. In it she shared part of an editorial her daughter wrote saying she got her pro-choice views from her mother and grandmother, former Texas Gov. Ann Richards.

"It's true that I have had lots of rewarding moments in my career. So did my mother," Cecile wrote in the email LifeNews.com cites. "But knowing that my daughter is carrying on the legacy of fighting that my mother passed to me trumps 'em all."

Richards then reportedly went on to write: "This Mother's Day, I'm honoring that legacy with a Planned Parenthood Federation of America Mother's Day gift. Join me."

Richards allegedly said passing on her pro-choice beliefs to her daughter Hannah and her younger children Lily and Daniel is "the best gift any mother can give her children."

"My mom did that for me and my siblings. And I've worked to do that for [my children]," she wrote.

In the email, Richards also allegedly admitted that promoting abortion was more important to her mother than even promoting equal rights for African-Americans.

"In all of my mother's activism — from the civil rights movement to the ERA — nothing meant more to her," she said.

Abortion over civil rights and women's rights? Wow.

I guess that's how you become a billion-dollar business.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home