View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Reading - about deacons

I was a lector this morning (triple duty today - lector at 8, play with the choir at 9:30, practice with Rock of Faith at 11!).

One of the readings was about the first deacons.

Given my not being canonically acceptable for the diaconate - my own fault - I felt sadness as I prepared and as I read.

Not deep wrenching sadness. More of a whistfulness.

What might have been.

But then, I would not be getting so involved with music were I in the diaconate now.

God uses us where we are.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What reason was given to you for not being canonically acceptable, if I may ask?

7:00 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

It wasn't something that threatens my immortal soul. It was just something I did that showed a poor judgement and a lack of spiritual maturity. Certainly not what one would expect of a deacon.

I'm not mad at the diocese for the problem. It was my own fault.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't trying to be nosy. It's just certain things are fixable, say like an attempted marriage. I'm more curious about how the different dioceses interpret these things.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home