View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Pax Christi

I stumbled across a mention of Pax Christi in a news article the other day, and it reminded me of the late 1970s.

I was involved with the peace movement then - protesting, marching, and speaking.

One of the manifestations of that interest was helping to create a local chapter of Pax Christi - Pax Christi Rochester.

We were a small but active group for a couple of years. The Cold War and Reagan provided plenty of fodder in the early 1980s.

For a variety of reasons - some personal and in two cases involving nasty divorces - the core leadership of the local group moved on. Ironically, two of the key members (both involved in those divorces) now represent extremes. One is ultra-orthodox, another is a schismatic who plans to become a woman priest.

Me, I left too. Family. Work. Parish involvement. Personality conflicts. The kinds of people and fellow travellors it was attracting.

Strange that there should have been so much "violent" behavior involved in a group promoting peace.

I don't blame Pax Christi. It was that particular group of people. Me included. I'm an ornery cuss who likes to argue too much.

The organization continued locally for a while with new leadership. As far as I can tell, it is now defunct. There is a Western New York Pax Christi group apparently based over Buffalo way.

I wonder if it's time to reconsider it for Rochester.

The world has gotten no more peaceful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home