View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Huckabee reaches out to Catholics

Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee was recently interviewed by Catholic Online. (http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=26206)

Here's part of it:

Governor Huckabee: “I believe that life begins at conception and ends at a natural death. Life is a gift from God.

Every child deserves a quality education, first-rate health care, decent housing in a safe neighborhood, and clean air and drinking water. Every child deserves the opportunity to discover and use his God-given gifts and talents.

What I accomplished as Governor proves that there is a lot more that a pro-life President can do than wait for a Supreme Court vacancy, and I will do everything I can to promote a pro-life agenda and pass pro-life legislation.

I'll veto any pro-abortion legislation Congress passes. I will staff all relevant positions with pro-life appointees. I will use the Bully Pulpit to change hearts and minds, to move this country from a culture of death to a culture of life."

QUESTION: How have you lived that commitment personally, as well as in your years of public service as an elected official?

Governor Huckabee: “I have always been actively and aggressively pro-life. No candidate has a stronger or more consistent record on the sanctity of life than I do.

When I was elected Lieutenant Governor, and later Governor, I marched in the annual Right to Life parade down Capitol Avenue in Little Rock. I did this at a time when no other state-wide elected official in Arkansas would participate in this event.

I first became politically active when I helped pass Arkansas' Unborn Child Amendment, which requires the state to do whatever it can to protect life. As Governor, I used that Amendment to pass pro-life legislation. The many pro-life laws I got through my Democrat-controlled Legislature are the accomplishments that give me the most pride and personal satisfaction.”

QUESTION: What have you done to build a new culture of life and defend the right to life against the encroachment of what the late Pope John Paul II rightly called a culture of death?

Governor Huckabee: “As Governor, I banned partial birth abortion; I required parental notification; I required that a woman give informed consent before having an abortion; I required that a woman be told her baby will experience pain and be given the option of anesthesia for her baby; I allowed a woman to have her baby and, if she was unable to care for it, leave the child safely at a hospital; and I made it a crime for an unborn child to be injured or murdered during an attack on his mother.

I support and have always supported passage of a constitutional amendment to protect the right to life. As President, I will fight for passage of this amendment. My convictions regarding the sanctity of life have always been clear and consistent, without equivocation or wavering.

I believe that Roe v. Wade should be over-turned.

I applaud the Supreme Court's recent decision in Gonzales v. Cathcart forbidding the gruesome practice of partial birth abortion.

While I am optimistic that we are turning the tide in favor of life, we still have many battles ahead of us to protect those who cannot protect themselves, and so it is vital that we elect a pro-life President.”

The interview touches on other issues, including education (and schol choice), Iraq, taxes, immigration, and terrorism.

Sounded good to me!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

He may have reached out but I wouldn't trust him. All republicans reach out on the topic of abortion. They actually do nothing. And Huck has had way too close ties to Falwell. These fundies hate Catholics. He doesn't believe in evolution for goodness sakes. He'd have our children learn what? He's a huge no as far as I'm concerned.

4:40 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Did you read his record? He was a pro-life governor for 10 years with a great record.

As governor, he banned partial birth abortion.

He required parental notification.

He required informed consent.

He did so musch more.

In his case, it's not just lip service.

He also sought ways to take care of children after they are born - for him, the right to life does not end with birth.

Read the article. Maybe it will help convince you that at least he's not so bad.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will Mr. Huckabee be reaching out to catholics on December 22-23 while speaking at a well known anti-Catholic evangelical church in San Antonio Texas? He'll be speaking at Cornerstone run by well known bigot John Hagee. The Catholic League published an article about Hagee jast June titled JOHN HAGEE: VETERAN BIGOT.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home