View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Changes

I began this blog a year ago.

March 21 to be exact.

Much has happened in that year.

Good and bad.

My mother died.

My daughter’s cat got sick and died unexpectedly.

My oldest daughter got married.

I became the primary caregiver for my father and grandmother.

My father moved into an adult home.

I relocated my grandmother to an adult home near me.

My father has been hospitalized twice.

My dreams of the diaconate crashed.

I finally got to play Santa.

I got some haiku published.

One of my plays got performed.

And I even got nominated for an award for “From the back pew.”

Still, my blog has not grown as I’d hoped.

With everything going on, I haven’t had time to do it justice.

I found myself beating some of the same topics.

At the same time, I haven’t picked up the number of readers I’d hoped. (I’m grateful for the faithful few. You have been so kind, especially when I faced some troubled times. Thank you.)

That tells me that perhaps what I’ve written does not have broad enough appeal.

Or maybe I just don’t know how to promote.

Anyway, I felt it was time for a change.

My first thought was just to kill the blog.

But then I thought I’m just revamp it a little.

So I start with the title.

When I began the blog, I was a back pew guy.

Now I sing in the choir.

The view is nicer.

Faces.

And I’m participating rather than just watching.

Maybe my point of view has changed a little, too.

Older.

Wiser.

More weathered.

Whatever.

There may be more changes in the works.

Keep reading.

I’ll keep singing.

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

I think that the key really is to keep on writing what you want. Whether you reach 6 people or 600 it really is about you at the heart of it.

And, for what it's worth, I'm glad you're keepin' on singin'. :-)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

I'll affirm what Julie says - 6 or 600, just keep on writing what you want. I'll be back!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Ron Legest said...

I agree. Continue - even if you are stealing material from me!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Don said...

I think your blog is really not about you or what personal successes and failures you've had. I think it's great because you encourage all of us to "blog" our experience and with that has come a sense of community. Your comments have encouraged me and I'm sure they've encouraged us all to think more deeply about life and the Gospel. Keep writing. Peace.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

i'm glad this thing isn't dying. from one chorister to another, keep on doin' what you do.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Happy anniversary! I'll go edit my link to you!

11:32 AM  
Blogger PV said...

i am glad that you did not killed your blog.i will be back here also.and add you on my list.right now.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home