View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Bishop Gumbleton's resignation accepted


From the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

WASHINGTON (February 2, 2006)—Pope Benedict XVI has accepted the resignation of Most Reverend Thomas J. Gumbleton from the office of Auxiliary Bishop of Detroit.

Archbishop Gabriel Montalvo, Apostolic Nuncio to the United States, made the announcement.

Thomas J. Gumbleton was born in Detroit on January 26, 1930. He studied at St. John’s Provincial Seminary, Plymouth, Michigan, and at the Lateran University, Rome.

Bishop Gumbleton was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Detroit, June 2, 1956. He was appointed Titular Bishop of Ululi and Auxiliary Bishop of Detroit March 4, 1968 and ordained May 1, 1968.

I have mixed feelings.

I actually met Bishop Gumbleton a few times – back when I was a Catholic journalist, and when I was involved in a very liberal parish (which later broke with the Catholic Church).

I always found him to be a charming, thoughtful, caring man, but very strong in his beliefs.

I agreed with many of his beliefs – on such issues as peace, for example – but not all of them.

Some of those other beliefs – expressed in less careful, more confrontational ways than he voiced them – helped to lead my former parish to leave the church.

And I was saddened to hear the recent news that he had been abused by a priest many years ago.

I suppose this will free him to travel and work for changes in the Church and society.

I suspect I will not always agree with him.

But I will continue to respect him.

I wish him well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home