View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

What's left of left?


N.Y. Senator Chuck Schumer – one of my Senators – has been shooting off his mouth again.

So what else is new?

He said of Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito, “Judge Alito’s record is out of the mainstream on issue after issue after issue.”

I think it’s the other way around.

Senator Schumer is out of the mainstream.

As a flaming liberal, he is even out of the mainstream in his own party – a party I think is itself out of the mainstream nationally.

And I’m a Democrat!

He is more pro-choice and pro-gay than much of the party. If you go to the middle of the country, Democrats there are what Republicans are in New York.

Unless the national party pulls back more into the mainstream, it will continue to suffer electoral failure after failure after failure.

Unless, of course, President Bush continues to screw up.

At least we have another Senator in New York.

Oh, right.

Hillary.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom.... said...

I feel for you..at least in Missouri we have Jim Talent..he is an up-and-comer...prob will be pres fodder in the next 10 years.
Good old Hil...scar-eee.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you!

It's good to have compassionate and tolerant people in office.

I was very happy to contribute to Hillary's campaign.

4:07 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Anonymous - According to the latest statistics from National Right to Life, Hillary is 0 for 15 on pro-life votes.

Even though she is one of my senators, she does not represent me when it comes to life.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home