View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Poor old Judas



Heard the reports about the Church rehabilitating Judas?

Not so, says a Vatican official.

According to a Zenit article, questions arose after a report that a first century apocryphal "Gospel of Judas" is about to be published. The document will supposedly paint Judas in a brighter light - and perhaps help to support the notion that he was just playing a role in the divine plan.

A Times of London article about the "reevelauation" cites Monsignor Walter Brandmüller, president of the Pontifical Committee for Historical Sciences.

But Monsignor Brandmüller told Zenit, that "this news has no foundation."

"Reading the Times I discovered that a campaign exists to rehabilitate Judas and that I am the leader," the Vatican official said. "I have not talked with the Times. I can't imagine where this idea came from."

Sorry Judas. At least you got some good songs in Jesus Christ Superstar.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I think it's horrible to try to make Judas more than he was. While we too have sinned, Judas betrayed Our Lord. Our Lord said that it would "have been better if this man had never been born."

I'm not saying that we should condemn Judas, but why don't we try to grow in spirituality and love for Christ first. I say we should all move on and leave judgement/clearing His name to Christ.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home