View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The more the merrier?

I occasionally hear complaints from unmarried female friends that there are just not enough good men available – often adding that all the good ones are married.

In some cases, I’m polite enough not to point out some relevant facts they might be overlooking. (“You’re a nut case!”) But there are also a few very nice, sane, decent women who have not been lucky.

The Washington Times has an article that suggests a possible solution: polygamy.

(“The Marriage of Many” - http://washingtontimes.com/specialreport/20051211-121113-7195r.htm)

The point of the piece is that as the gay marriage agenda advances, eventually the rules against polygamy will likewise be challenged and fall.

And, to be honest, polygamy does have more arguments in its favor than gay marriage. It’s biblical, and has been accepted in many cultures and other religions.

So if all the good men are married, well, then just marry one of them.

At the same time, if two men both find the same good woman, why don’t they both marry her?

My wife jokingly shook her fist when she saw me looking at the article, and muttered something about not sharing me.

But she added that she might be willing to consider it if it means there will be someone at home to keep up with the housework and the dishes.

Makes sense to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

There are some cultures where women had more than one husband. But it is true that in the vast majority of cases, it's been men with multiple wives.
I'm not advocating it, but polygamy makes more sense than same sex marriage. If we had to pick one, I'd go with polygamy.
But I'd stick with one wife.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...polygamy makes more sense than same sex marriage"

IF, and only IF, you discount the genetic basis of homosexuality. For some folks, it's just in their genes. Better deprive THOSE mutants of civil rights, eh? Make sure they can't be in the ER with their loved one... make inheriting property difficult.

MA has had same sex marriage for over a year now and it has impacted my very hertosexual life not one iota.

Try to have some compassion.

8:42 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

--- "...polygamy makes more sense than same sex marriage"

IF, and only IF, you discount the genetic basis of homosexuality. For some folks, it's just in their genes. ---

I have friends who are alcoholics. In some cases, alcoholism runs in their families. There seems to be a genetic predisposition toward alcoholism.

But I would not give them a drink.

---Better deprive THOSE mutants of civil rights, eh? Make sure they can't be in the ER with their loved one... make inheriting property difficult. --

Wow. Talk about putting words into my mouth.

While the urge to have sex can be a powerful force, sex is not a “civil right.” And despite what our oversexed society promotes, sex is not even necessary for a healthy individual to maintain health. There are many people who by choice, or due to circumstances (isolation, not finding the right person, illness, that old war wound, etc…) do not have sex for extended periods , sometimes their entire lives, and they are not the worse for it. If someone is so obsessed with sex that they do “suffer” from lack of it, then perhaps they need to look at what is really causing the problem.

The bit about not having someone in the ER can be taken care of. My mother died in October, so I’ve seen how the health care system – and visitation - work. Her close friend was allowed in because a document was signed in advance. Just get a health care proxy, etc. signed.

The inheritance thing? That’s what wills can cover.

--- MA has had same sex marriage for over a year now and it has impacted my very hertosexual life not one iota. ---

Perhaps. But then, Hitler’s rise to power did not affect many Germans’ lives --- for several years.

The climate changes in the works due to pollution are not affecting me and my SUV driving neighbors in Western New York right now.

I could go on. The point is that one year is not enough time to judge the success or failure of something like that.

And just because we do not see the immediate effects does not mean that there are not effects going on. Think of a driver whose car slips into a sinkhole that “suddenly” appeared – though the wearing away actually has been going on unseen for a long time.

----Try to have some compassion. ---

I have plenty of compassion for gays. I even have indignation when they are mocked, persecuted, denied jobs or homes because of their condition, and so on.

At church, for example, I spoke out when some people wanted to fire our organist just because he was gay. At the schools where I have taught I have consistently chastised students who mock others because they seem “gay” or who use the word “gay” as an insult.

Just because I don’t support one particular issue does not mean I have no compassion. That’s like saying that because I have trouble with calculus I must be stupid.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home