View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Lee Strong, OFM?

One evening while reading, I went to the fridge to search for a piece of pecan pie I had spotted earlier.

I found it. But when I lifted the plate, I saw an envelope beneath it.

I took the envelope out. On the front, written in an even hand, was my name.

Lee Strong.

Nothing else.

“Honey,” I called to my wife in the living room, “Any idea why there’s an envelope in the fridge?”

“Why would I put an envelope in the fridge?” she said.

Good question.

I opened the envelope. Inside there was a simple white card.

“The OFM requests your presence at an information dinner …”

It went on to list a date and time, and an address, but no phone number or e-mail address where I could get more information.

Nothing else.

OFM? Order of Friars Minor? Franciscans???

I looked at the envelope again.

No other details. The handwriting did not look familiar.

I threw it on my dresser.

It had to be a joke.

The next day I was at the school where I teach. In between classes, I went in to my office and reached into the drawer where I keep a supply of chocolate covered raisins.

I felt an envelope.

I took it out.

Same size. Same even handwriting.

I opened it.

Same invitation.

Now I was certain it was a joke.

So I decided to go - out of curiosity, and to see if I could turn things around on the jokers.

But first, I ate a handful of chocolate covered raisins.

To be continued …

2 Comments:

Blogger ~pen~ said...

shall i hold my breath unti you finish this intriguing saga?

because i will, you know.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Nancy C. Brown said...

I'm interested....and I like chocolate covered raisens, too.
Keep going....

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home