View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My least favorite "Christmas" song

Several local radio stations have begun their annual Christmas-songs-around-the-clock marathons.

I don’t mind. I like Christmas songs – even the sappy and silly ones.

But there is one song they all insist on playing that bugs me.

“Baby It’s Cold Outside.”

The only connection to the season is the mention of the weather. It’s cold, there’s a blizzard.

Other than that, it’s a seduction song.

Stay the night.

I’ll make it worth your while. (wink)

Have a drink. (That’ll loosen you up?)

As for what her mother, father, neighbors, etc. might think – well, “What’s the sense in hurting my pride …Baby don’t hold out ... How can you do this thing to me?”

You know what gift he’s hoping for.

For the rest of the lyrics, you can find one version at http://www.bobbycaldwell.com/discography_lyrics_Baby_Its_Cold_Outside.htm

I'm a big fan of sex - in the right circumstances. I just happen to believe in moral behavior.

On its own, the song is tamer than a lot of the sexually oriented songs on the radio. I don’t particularly like them – especially when they turn sex into something divorced from love and women (or in some cases, men) into objects.

I don’t listen to such songs in general.

And certainly not at Christmas.

Bah. Humbug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home