View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

St. Lawrence on the barbi

Today is the feast of St. Lawrence, Deacon. How appropriate, given my current plans.

According to legend, when told to bring the treasure of the Church to a Roman prosecutor, Lawrence brought 100 poor people with him, and called them the treasure of the Church.

Supposedly, the prosecutor got mad and ordered him roasted alive. After lying on the grill for a while he told his executioner to turn him over, because “that side is done.”

He is the patron saint of comedians and cooks. I’m not kidding.

I think deacons world-wide should have barbecues in his honor. Given his apparent sense of humor, he might appreciate that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home