View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, July 25, 2005

I wonder if AARP offers senior deputy badges?

I think I’ve officially entered old cootdom.

The other day, I witnessed someone tossing a cigarette butt out his car window onto the road side.

I noticed that there were a number of butts by the road side.

I was annoyed. I felt like blowing my horn.

As I drove home, I noticed similar deposits.

I hate smoking because of what it’s done to my family. I have asthma, so smoking by others around me directly affects me (besides the fact that my doctor thinks my lung problems may be due in part to growing up in a home with chronic smokers).

I hate the filthy piles of butts and other debris polluting our environment and our roadsides.

As I was driving home gnawing on my annoyance, a van pulled out of a gas station, trying to turn into the far lane. He couldn’t edge in, so he sat there, blocking two lanes - including mine.

He was gabbing away on a hand-held cell phone. Talking on a hand-held while operating a motor vehicle is illegal in New York state.

Blocking two lanes of traffic because you are in a hurry while gabbing on a cell phone is annoying.

Doubly annoyed, I went home and called the police to see what I as a citizen can do.

I learned that throwing cigarette butts out a car window is consider littering, and is illegal. The police said if I saw anyone breaking the littering law or the cell phone law, all I had to do was copy the license plate number, then call 911 to report the criminal.

Today, I turned in two butt tossers.

Tomorrow, I think I’ll go out hunting for more scofflaws.

Maybe I’ll wear shorts and black socks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I sympathize with your concerns (this really, really bugs me, too), I can't help but think the police have bigger fish to fry. Also, it's a scary thought that we could really 'tattle' on each ohter like this over small issues and have action result. What a way to get back at your enemies!

4:12 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Actually, you can do that in so many ways. Falsely report potential child abuse - even if nothing happened - and look at the mayhem you can cause in someone's life.
As for thre "butts," I'm an honorable soul. I would only report if I actually saw it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Actually, you can do that in so many ways. Falsely report potential child abuse - even if nothing happened - and look at the mayhem you can cause in someone's life.
As for thre "butts," I'm an honorable soul. I would only report if I actually saw it.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home