View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pro-life - a needed morning boost at Mass

Yesterday morning I went to St. John's on the Ridge for Saturday morning Mass. In his homily, the priest focused on abortion and the anniversary of Roe v Wade.

He noted that it might be easy to become discouraged, that we seem no closer to overturning that decision and ending the abortion holocaust despite working for years against it. But he said we need to keep faith, to keep praying, to keep trusting in the Lord.

Later that day, I went to the Unitarian Church for a pro-life protest as a conference involving Planned Parenthood and boosters of abortion and birth control was getting underway.

I arrived at the time I'd been told in an e-mail to arrive. I spotted a couple of ladies who looked like they were involved in the conference or the church. They had set up a little table with what appeared to be coffee and donuts.

I looked around. No protesters.

I pulled into a side street to turn around when I spotted a car with a Catholic radio sticker. That gave me hope.

I parked behind it and approached the driver. Yes, a fellow pro-lifer.

We walked over to the church. He had a small sign with him. I didn't have any - I'd hoped that the people who organized the protest might have some.

We two stood there, chatting. The ladies - sporting NOW buttons - offered us hot chocolate. That was nice of them.

Two television crews began to arrive. Two protesters, two ladies offering hot chocolate. This was going to make the evening news!?

One of the reporters asked to interview us. As we were talking, and as I reluctantly agreed to be interviewed by one station, two other protesters arrived (hooray), but they deferred to me.

I spoke briefly, not very articulately. I thought of all the things I should have said afterwards, of course.

The other station interviewed one of the other people (phew), and we began to pray a rosary and a Diving Mercy chaplet.

As we four prayed, the people for the conference arrived. A few shook their heads at us or smirked as they drove by. Most just avoided eye contact and drove in.

The conference started. The two hot chocolate ladies went in.

We finished the chaplet and I left, figuring there would be no purpose to just standing out there now that things had started - and my feet were getting cold.

At first as I stood there I felt - sad. So few of us. And even the person who'd sent me the e-mail about the event didn't show up. Probably had a good reason, and the weather was bad, but still, such a small showing. It was embarrassing.

But as I stood there I recalled Father's words from Mass. Don't get discouraged. Pray. Trust in God.

That was comforting and reassuring.

I will continue to pray. To protest. To speak out. Even if think I'm alone.

Because I'm never really alone.

And because of all the women and children.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Mass for life was held at St. Thomas and drew over 500 people last night.

2:11 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I'm glad so many showed up for the Mass.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home