View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Presidents Rated - Obama's 15th???

The Siena Research Institute has released its fifth ranking of the U.S. Presidents - based on a survey of 238 Presidential scholars historians and political scientists - and once again Franklin Roosevelt tops the list. (He's topped all five lists since the first one in 1982)

Teddy Roosevelt and Lincoln switched positions, so TR is now ranked #2 and Lincoln #3. They are followed by Washington and Jefferson.

I can't argue against any in the top five. I'd rank Lincoln above TR, but that's a quibble.

The bottom five (in descending order) are:

G.W. Bush
Pierce
Harding
Buchanan
A. Johnson.

Again, no real arguments from me.

But they do get an argument from me with their ranking of Obama as 15th.

Now he may one day end up a good President worthy of being in the top third of the rankings, but he's only been in office a year and a half. I think we need to wait until he's at least through one term before ranking him. Next thing you know they'll be awarding him the Nobel Peace Prize before he actually does anything (oh, wait).

By the way, some other recent Presidents' Rankings:

Ford: 28
Carter: 32
Reagan: 18
G.H. Bush: 22
Clinton: 13

Here's the full report:

http://www.siena.edu/uploadedfiles/home/parents_and_community/community_page/sri/independent_research/Presidents%20Release_2010_final.pdf

2 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I don't think much of his as a President so far, but I'll wait until he finishes his term to see exactly what he's done and where I'd rank him.

I'm hoping in 2012, though, for Huckabee to beat him!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Interstate Catholic said...

A year and a half rates a person 15? He shouldn't be rated at all until his presidency is over.

In crisis situations, he hasn't shown much.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home