View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mother-in-law: Cancer

About two weeks ago my mother-in-law fell. She could not get up for more than an hour, and called family. They helped her up, but she was having a rough time walking or standing. After a couple of days of it not getting better, we took her to the emergency department at a local hospital. They admitted her for observation.

Initially, it was thought she needed more physical therapy (she'd had a stroke last year). Then suddenly, one doctor decided to release her - without consulting the family, without contacting the social worker at her senior complex.

Four hours later, we had her back in emergency. She still could not walk or even pivot on he bad leg.

Finally, they did more extensive tests. They found that she'd had another stroke - as my wife and father-in-law had suspected all along - and that she had a blood clot that had lodged in her lung.

They also tested her because of some bleeding.

Yesterday, they found she has colon cancer.

My wife is beside herself.

Surgery is needed. I don't know when it will take place.

Please keep her, my wife, and my father-in-law in your prayers.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Will have you all in my prayers today! Cathy

7:05 AM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

will do, Lee

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home