View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Anne Rice quits Christianity

Horror author turned Catholic/Christian Anne Rice has now rejected Christianity.

She issued a couple of statements recently explaining her rejection:

"For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being “Christian” or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to “belong” to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

and also:

"As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”

I remember when she embraced Christianity and Catholicism. There was a big to-do about it. But as I read her book about her faith journey (Called Out of Darkness), I was uneasy and skeptical. I even penned a clerihew hinting at my unease:

Anne Rice
found a pearl of great price.
But she had to make money first
dwelling on an unnatural thirst.

I had hoped that she would grow in her understanding of her rediscovered faith. Sadly, she apparently did not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home