View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mass for Vocations

Now that I'm on summer break, I can make daily Mass at my parish. Last year I used to be one of the readers. On Thursday, one of the regulars asked if I'd like to do it again this summer. I said fine, and volunteered for Fridays.

Then I looked at Friday's reading. Long - and full of names I wasn't certain how to pronounce. Jehoiada. Ahaziah. Athalia. Jehosheba.

I went home, looked them up, practiced, showed up Friday, nervous that I'd slip up (I even wrote out pronunciation crib notes) - and discovered Father had changed the readings! (Phew).

He had decided to celebrate a Mass for Vocations.

Not only were the readings easier, but he preached a nice, short vocations homily describing how when he was in grade school a Sister had kept on encouraging his to consider the priesthood - and even set up an appointment with the pastor for him.

He used his own story to urge us all to reach out and encourage young men and women to consider vocations to the priesthood and religious life, and to keep on encouraging them.

Amen.

I kidded him after Mass that that Sister would probably be waiting for him and would be one of the first persons to greet him at the Pearly Gates.

Anyway, anyone out there ever thought of a vocation to the priesthood or religious life? Let me know and I'll keep you in my prayers.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben Anderson said...

yes, you got off the hook. I listen to the readings via podcast. I had to rewind a bunch of times because I couldn't keep all the name straight.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Maureen said...

Our lector is notorious for mispronouncing the names. It was quite a treat hearing him do Friday's reading.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous D F said...

I was thinking about the diocesan priesthood, but I've been told to "get laid before seminary" by some local SSJ's. No joke.

My gaze for sacerdotal fulfillment begins to wander abroad.

7:55 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

How sad, DF. But don't give up on the diocesan preisthood because of stupid comments form women religious.

Keep in touch. I'll keep you in my prayers.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home