View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Judy Blume Insults Mothers

Planned Parenthood, the billion-dollar abortion business, sent out the following letter allegedly from Judy Blume (with a few comment from me in bold):

Dear Friend,

If you are the daughter whose mom had the guts to give you the answers to questions you couldn't quite figure out how to ask...

If you are the son whose mother raised you to love and respect your sisters and wives and daughters...
(That's why I'm pro-life, not pro-abortion.)

If you know a mother who is struggling to raise strong, independent, and confident children in the face of unbelievable odds... (Give her some help, not dishonor her in this way.)

...Say thanks. Say thanks this Mother's Day with a gift that honors her courage by making a donation to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund in her name. I guarantee you that she'll be pleased. I know I would be. (My mom would have given me a pained look had I insulted her this way.)

I'm a mom, and I'm also a writer and an activist. Nothing has made me prouder than seeing my own children — and really, all young people — grow up to be healthy, educated, and in charge of their bodies and their lives. That's where Planned Parenthood comes in. There is no organization that I know of that supports motherhood and all that it means more than Planned Parenthood. (On the Bizarro World, maybe.) That's why I'm honoring (?!?!??)moms everywhere with my gift to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund today.

It's not easy to be a mother these days.
(Planned Parenthood is working hard to make it easy not to be a mother these days - with they help of tax dollars.) And right now — with more and more women seeking care from Planned Parenthood health centers — we need to do all we can to support them. (Including centers that break the law and conceal rape.) By honoring a mother in your life with a gift to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, you'll be making a gift that protects and advocates for the health of millions of mothers and families. That's a gift any mother will appreciate.

Sincerely,
Judy Blume


Planned Parenthood and Mother's Day? What an insult to mothers everywhere.

As for Blume, if this is indeed a letter from her (you never can tell when Planned Parenthood is involved), another reason not to read her books.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina Dunigan said...

"If you're the father who pimps your teenage daughter out for drugs. If you're the 25-year-old stepbrother having sex with your mentally disabled 16-year-old sister. If you're the softball coach banging four different middle-school students. Make a donation to Planned Parenthood today!"

9:48 PM  
Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Sort of a contradiction in terminology here isn't it? Mother's Day/Planned Parenthood? Very strange! It would be laughable if it weren't so serious! Cathy

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Planned Parenthood is more than a "pro abortion group". They provide medical care and birth control to thousands of women. Planned Parenthood doctors kept me healthy when I could not afford health insurance and they provided me with birth control pills until my husband and I were on better financial terms. We now have 2 beautiful boys and a roof over our heads. I will always support Planned Parenthood and you should rethink your attacks on them, just because some of their centers provide abortions.

Let's support birth control so no one has to ever have an abortion. Let's support education and access for people who cannot afford health insurance. Don't harass Judy Blume because she supports this wonderful institution.

12:12 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Planned Parenthood is the largest provider of abortions in the country. They kill hundreds of thousands of babies. They also lobby to keep abortion without limits, so they are implicated in the other killings of innocent children.

That alone outweighs what "good" they may do.

Also, this is a Catholic site. Birth control - some methods of which cause "abortions" - is forbidden by the Church, and I do not support it. From a Catholic perspective, this is another reason not to support Planned Parenthood.

5:11 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

And then there are the Lila Rose video investigations that caught Planned Parenthood staff at multiple sites prepared to illegally conceal rape.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home