View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Nuts to you

There are certain staples in my daily diet.

Oatmeal. A bowl for breakfast most days (and a running joke among my students about boring Mr. Strong).

Coffee. Many cups. Ready for my second one at 7:27 a.m. in fact.

Peanut butter. Standard lunch fare.

Now there's this salmonella scare, with at least 8 people dead. The brand I use is not on the recall list ... yet.

It's bad enough when someone makes a mistake and releases tainted foods. But the latest reports are that the company at the center of this had shipped tainted peanuts AFTER they had tested positive. They chose to risk people's lives and health.

That's contemptible. Their actions led to death - all in the name of profits. Sort of like the tobacco industry. (Or, for that matter, the abortion industry).

Now I don't believe in the death penalty. But maybe a just punishment would be to imprison the executives of the company and put them on a peanut butter diet. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. All made with products from their company.

3 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Peanut butter...a staple of life. My entire childhood revolved around peanut butter...The very first thing I learned to bake was peanut butter cookies...Still my favorite. We always stocked large quantities of the peanut crackers at home for our son with diabetes. It was what we gave him to stabilize him after an insulin reaction. I can only imagine what would have happened if he acquired salmonella as well. Certainly justice will prevail. I'm always the eternal optimist. (Do you like peanut butter and honey on warm toast?) Cathy

2:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I was a huge peanut butter fan but I had to stop eating it because i realized that it made me feel ill.
Okay- truth be told maybe it's the HUGE amounts that made me ill.
Anyway...this scare helps to keep me away in case I ever fall of the peanut wagon.

11:38 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

It does make you think twice.

Boy, if there's ever a problem with coffee I'll be in deep trouble!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home