View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Strong boys

My Uncle Jack and Cousin Don came to visit my father at the nursing home over the last couple of days.

Don lost his wife, Sunny, after a long battle with cancer, and is visiting relatives around the country. I haven't seen him in decades, and had only met Sunny once. I found a couple of pictures of Don and Sunny among the photos I'd retrieved from Mom and Dad's house. I gave them to Don today.

I met with Jack and Don for breakfast, then we went to see Dad and played euchre. Dad and Jack beat Don and me. Grr.

Above, from left, Jack, Dad, Don, me. With Uncle Bob, Cousin Jimmy and my brother John all dead, we are the last surviving Strong men of our respective generations. There are no male children that I'm aware of bearing the Strong name, so we four are in all likelihood the end of the Strong line in our family tree.
I think Dad was in heaven having so many relatives about. Winning at cards probably helped too!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes... we start to look like our fathers after a certain point. It's when we sound like them that I worry :-)

6:42 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Hey! I'm taller and I have more hair!

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home